Exiting lockdown two
With England due to exit a second lockdown on Wednesday 2nd December, Boris Johnson has announced the Government’s plans for post lockdown.
As predicted, a regional tiered approach will be rolled out with toughest measures where Coronavirus is most prevalent. Tiers will be tougher, those in tier one should continue to work from home where possible. In tier two, pubs can only remain open if they serve meals and in tier three hospitality will need to close except for delivery and takeaway.
The good news is outdoor sports, gyms, hairdressers and shops can re-open. Areas will be announced on Thursday 26th November, with more falling into higher levels than before.
Businesses need to prepare their own exit plan to ensure they are ready to hit the ground running when lockdown ends on 2nd December. The early part of December is an important trading period for many businesses, so they need to be ready to make the most of this time. Once each region is aware of which tier, they will be in, then plans can be made. Hospitality businesses can look at how they can amend their offering to adhere to the restrictions whilst still maintaining their business.
The key items that businesses need to focus on as follows:
- How can you continue to sell to your customers, can you tweak your opening hours, offer a click and collect or delivery service?
- Are you able to sell your goods or services online?
- Ensure you have carried out a risk assessment so that all safety measures are in place and you can promote your business as ‘covid safe’.
- Could you offer a discount or incentive to encourage sales?
- Communication is so important, make sure everyone knows you are open and how your business will be operating. Update your social media accounts and websites regularly.
- Put in place contactless payment options so customers can pay easily and safely.
- Find out about all funding and grants available to you and your business so you are accessing all support out there.
- Finally, keep up to date with the latest Government announcements so you can ensure you are ready for whatever changes are put into place.
On Wednesday 25th November, Rishi Sunak will be launching the Government’s spending review which will include details on a splurge on infrastructure, the NHS and defence. This will hopefully go some way to help the UK to battle the economic shock of the pandemic. Any wider tax cuts will be delayed for now as the UK economy recovers and attempts to bounce back from the restrictions imposed throughout most of 2020.
The really good news is we can finally see a route out of this pandemic with vaccine and rapid testing being finalised, we just need to get through this testing winter period.
Sean Daniel, Managing Director said “2020 has been a tough year, it looks like there is light at the end of the tunnel and businesses need to plan how to survive the tough Winter period”.
If you need any help or support with your accounting needs, please get in touch with the Clear Vision Financial Management team, call us on 01794 330025 or email us